Screenshot

By Syed Ali Shah, News Desk

QUETTA: At least 14 people were killed and several others injured when a powerful explosion struck a passenger shuttle train near Chaman Phatak in Quetta on Sunday morning, prompting a province-wide security response, emergency medical measures, and a high-level meeting chaired by Federal Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi and Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti.

Among the victims were three Frontier Corps (FC) personnel, while women and children were also reported among the injured. The blast occurred shortly after 8:00 a.m. as the shuttle train was travelling from Quetta Cantonment Railway Station to Quetta City Railway Station, according to officials.

Federal Interior Minister and Chief Minister of Balochistan Chaired a Special High-Level Security Meeting

The explosion caused extensive destruction at the site, severely damaging several railway coaches and reportedly derailing multiple compartments. Nearby vehicles were engulfed in flames or heavily damaged, while homes in the surrounding neighborhood sustained structural damage. Residents described scenes of panic as the blast shattered windows, cracked walls, and damaged rooftops across the area.

As rescue operations continued, Federal Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi and Chief Minister Mir Sarfraz Bugti chaired a special high-level security meeting in Quetta to review the Chaman Phatak blast, the preliminary findings of the investigation, and the overall law-and-order situation in Balochistan. The meeting was attended by Inspector General of Police Balochistan Muhammad Tahir Khan and senior officials from law-enforcement and security agencies.

During the briefing, the IG Police presented an initial report on the explosion and informed participants about the progress of the investigation. The meeting strongly condemned the attack, describing it as a cowardly act targeting innocent civilians, and expressed solidarity with the families of the victims.

Section 144 Had Already Been Imposed in Quetta

Mohsin Naqvi said the federal government stands firmly with the people and government of Balochistan during this difficult period. Condemning the attack in the strongest terms, he said terrorists had demonstrated extreme brutality by targeting innocent citizens. He emphasized that the sacrifices of those who lost their lives would always be remembered and reiterated the government’s commitment to taking every possible measure to eradicate terrorism.

Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti said the government would not allow the sacrifices of the martyrs to go in vain and vowed to intensify operations against terrorist networks and anti-state elements. He stated that security agencies would continue decisive actions to eliminate threats to peace and stability in Balochistan.

The chief minister further revealed that he was personally monitoring the treatment of the injured and had directed hospitals and relevant departments to ensure the best possible medical care for all victims. He also assured bereaved families that the provincial government would continue supporting them at every level.

Immediately after the blast, rescue teams, security personnel, and local residents rushed to assist victims. The injured were shifted to hospitals across Quetta, where authorities declared a medical emergency and directed doctors, paramedics, and support staff to report for duty. Emergency wards remained on high alert to manage the influx of casualties.

Officials said Section 144 had already been imposed in Quetta due to security concerns. Following the incident, the district administration established a central control room at the Deputy Commissioner’s Office to coordinate rescue operations, facilitate communication among agencies, and monitor the evolving situation. The Balochistan Home Department also activated a special monitoring and coordination cell to oversee response efforts.

Security forces, police, the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD), bomb disposal squads, and forensic experts have completely sealed off the blast site. Investigators continue collecting evidence and conducting forensic examinations to determine the exact nature of the attack and identify those responsible.

Authorities said rescue, relief, and investigation operations remain underway, while federal and provincial leadership continue to closely monitor developments related to one of the deadliest security incidents reported in Quetta in recent months.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

About the Author

Quetta Voice is an English Daily covering all unfolding political, economic and social issues relating to Balochistan, Pakistan's largest province in terms of area. QV's main focus is on stories related to education, promotion of quality education and publishing reports about out of school children in the province. QV has also a vigilant eye on health, climate change and other key sectors.